Sunday 1 January 2012

Green and Grey



This New Year was special in its own way, as I was going to celebrate it with one of my good friend. A lot of plans for celebrating the day to its best, crossed my mind. I called him to share the list of all the options which we could do on the New Year's eve. But I got quite disappointed when I came to know that he had to attend his friend’s wedding on 1st Jan. I then remembered a line someone told me – “If you want to cheer yourself up, cheer somebody else up”. This line was continuously hitting me and I decided to share my day by cheering up people around me.

Hyderabad, I decided to come here even after knowing the fact that I would be far from my family and no other friend would be there with me. But I always wanted to explore the different culture and different experiences in each city/country, so I came here with those hopes. I like this city for many things. It’s well developed and has a great IT set up, its culture totally different from the one I come from, its people, its weather and many such things which I might not be able to pen down here, I like about it. But somewhere something was still missing, I never had the feeling of belonging to this city. 

31 December 2010:
I purchased few things (confectionery, cold drinks, chocolates etc) while returning to my home after office. My landlady’s children were quite excited about the day as their aunt along with her little daughter was also there. I prepared some food and along with the things I bought with me, I reached at their place. I knew that they would enjoy my presence so I dint give much thought whether to join them or not. Those few hours before the dawn of a new year, I was feeling like a child, as once again I did few things that I used to do when I was a child. I played different games with them, I was fighting using the pillows with them, I ate with them, I enjoyed with them. I wasn't a grown up girl during those few hours, instead I was reliving my childhood with my new friends that I found there after years. My day ended very beautifully. 

1 January 2011:
We had holiday for two reasons, firstly its next year’s first day and secondly its Saturday, so I had a full day to spend. My Mom used to tell me, always do good things at the start of new year, so that we would do it for the rest of the year also. Whenever I get the opportunity, I like to spend my time with the children of orphanage. I decided there and then that, I would go to an NGO. This time I went there with some other purpose in mind. I wanted to donate some money/things to the organization as I didn’t believe in paying taxes to the government. With the same money which could have filled the minister's lockers, I wanted to donate it to the orphanage or old age homes. It was an NGO and children were mentally challenged. My body got numb and a lump formed in my throat when I saw little kids struggling to do normal things. I got some fruits with me and I could never forget those eyes and the words they shared in response to that little gift. I did few checks on how they (Organization) operate and what was there monthly and yearly expenses so that I could share their problems with whatever way I could do.

After returning to my home I realized many things – Earlier I was sad because I was not be able to celebrate the day, the way I wanted to celebrate, but when I looked at those children, for them all days were alike, they couldn't differentiate the different colors of life. I also realized the contrast of life around me, and felt like walking on the lane, one side of which I could see the green shades of trees and on the other side grey shades of trees. One day I was with the children who enjoyed a lot and desperately waited for the new year’s eve, and on other day I was with the children for whom every day is a new year, and their parents live in the hope that one day their children will be normal as others are and can feel and do the things as others do. 

But when I saw the life of those children from a different angle, I felt that they were the happier than any other children around them. They have had their own world; they are far from the intelligence of the world which at the end destroys us. They are the lucky ones who don’t understand many things, they just do what they enjoy doing it, without thinking whether it is good or bad. We don’t appreciate the happy side of life until we see the darker side of it, and we don’t find the missing pieces of the darker side of it until we see the happy side. Both are so correlated to each other that one is not complete without the other. That day was the memorable in much sense that it made me cry and it made me happy at the same time.

1 January 2012:
PS: A year has come with new hopes and heights to achieve. I wish you all a very happy new year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment